Friday, March 8, 2019

A Conglomerate

(Found in Drafts)
Starting with TYK calendar party, where I sent my visiting mother up to snag two calendars since we were short on time and Fulton Market was definitely short on bike parking.  At first she couldn't get up to the party.  The elevators weren't working, the stair doors were locked.  I sent her back in to "try again!"  The people watching and relatively mild weather were doing me ()ust fine outside.  Plus, she emerged with at least two amusing stories and a quick glance at one cross section of the Chicago cycling scene.  It worked out well.  I planned to race my mom to The Goodman, but the nice taxi driver insisted we could get my bike in his trunk.  It was only a couple miles in slow loop traffic, but it was nice to stick with my mom and the driver was great about it.  Which is way more than I can say for the mini-van driver we hailed after the show.  I would have to do much more research for a more full assessment of taking your bike in a cab, not something I'm particularly wont to do, so I'll leave it at the apparent range of reactions you may get--knowing that it can defintely be done, so consider it an option anyway (except who really wants to?)

So, on my last day of my six day birthday weekend, I met a friend at Longman & Eagle for lunch.  Had been wanting to try it, and figured it wouldn't be too crowded at 2:00 on a Tuesday.  I was right, and it pretty much lived up to the hype.  I'd go back.  Afterward, I passed by Boulevard Bikes, which I had kind of forgotten about but of course had to stop in.  Kevin (the owner) was great.  I bought a Kozie Prery cap, which I've since lost.

3/8/19
My goodness, what year was that? Probably 2010 (November). I feel like I found that Kozie Perry cap, I have a nice soft fabric one, will have to go grab it and look. Still one of my favorites.

I can't believe that I totally forgot about starting this blog. I think I questioned why I was doing it, which is why it was such a fleeting fad, but I really like reading back on it. I think I wondered who the heck was my crowd, and I still would, but maybe it's just for me. Can't get too caught up in that I guess.

So, here we are, seems like the last day of winter or first day of spring. Going to get to 30 today. We are going to ride, hopefully before it gets that warm. Trails have been super awesome at this end of winter. We had a ton of snow this year. Joel Hartman and crew just killed it with the trail grooming. I got a new Eagle 1x12 drivetrain through John's hook ups - for the Beargrease. Will be getting my RockShox Pike serviced before the regular mountain biking season since I will be keeping my Juliana another year (stoked). I think that's been my favorite mountain bike.

Oh, then there's the news of Jeff Frane leaving All-City. That's pretty big in the bike world. He defined so much - for me anyway. I know that scene was happening everywhere, but he made a beautiful bike and reflected a background and passion that stems from me as well. I wish him the best, he had a very heartfelt and respectful post about that. I will always treasure my All-City SpaceHorse.

With that, I should get back to work (working from home now in the land of the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Trails. Crosby, MN).

No comments:

Post a Comment